Financial Assistance for Homebuying Wounded Warriors

Jason Belangoy
Jason Belangoy
Published on November 28, 2017

We’ve all heard of the VA Home Loan, which essentially is a mortgage loan for servicemembers and veterans who are homebuyers.  Not only is the VA Home Loan guaranteed by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), it is also issued only by approved lenders.  For a reminder on the VA Home Loan, read my previous article on it at this link here.  But there are, of course, other types of financial assistance available for veteran and military homebuyers, principally for wounded warriors.  These particular types of financial assistance provide funds to wounded warriors so that they can re-construct or modify their homes to make it more amenable to their permanent and total service-connected disability.

The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), in fact, has three different adaptive grants available to eligible wounded warriors.  These are:


*The Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH)

*The Special Housing Adaptation Grant (SHA)

*The Temporary Residence Adaptation Grant (TRA)


The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant is widely known amongst the military and veteran community.  It is designed for eligible wounded warriors so that they receive a VA grant of up to $81,080 for fiscal year 2018. 

With the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant, meanwhile, the VA can provide eligible wounded warriors financial assistance from 50 percent the cost of a specially adapted house up to the aggregate maximum amount permissible by law.  The maximum amount allowed is $16,217 for fiscal year 2018. 

Learn more about the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) and Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grants at this federal website.

As for the Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) Grant, it provides financial assistance to wounded warriors who are or will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member.  In this way, the wounded warrior’s special needs can be accommodated.  For SAH recipients, they can receive a TRA of $35,593 in FY2018.  And, for SHA recipients, the TRA amount is $6,355 for FY2018.

For more on the dollar amount maximums for the SHA, SAH, and TRA grants, view the Department of Veterans Affairs’  September 2017 circular, available here, detailing the recent increases in amounts of these grants available to wounded warriors.

BONUS:  Interestingly enough, the VA awards another type of financial assistance called the Specially Adapted Housing Assistive Technology (SAHAT) Grant.  But this grant is awarded to “persons or entities to encourage the development of specially adapted housing assistive technologies.”  In other words, those organizations, businesses, or nonprofits that help design specially adapted homes for wounded warriors are eligible for the SAHAT grant of up to $200,000 per fiscal year.  SAHAT was designed so that “emerging technologies that could improve home adaptations or enhance a veteran’s or servicemember’s ability to live independently, such as voice-recognition and voice-command operations, living environment controls, and adaptive feeding equipment…[anything that the] VA has defined ‘new assistive technology’ as an advancement that could aid or enhance the ability of a veteran or servicemember to live in an adapted home” is researched and developed further.

And, for more on the homebuying process for veterans, servicemembers, and military families, visit the federal website for the US Department of Veterans Affairs’ home-purchasing guide.

Financial Assistance for Homebuying Wounded Warriors
Please use a valid email.
Please fill in all fields.
view now